Thursday, April 19, 2007

I came, We Saw, She Conquered

After nearly 11 months of separation, I saw her again. We had last met on the 27th of May 2006 when she left for the United States for the official assignment of hers. I had not realized it back then that the separation would be so agonizing, but it suited us fine as I too had to leave for about a year for my MBA. It would have kept her busy while I was away. However she had come back this March and I had not completed my course. It hurt us like mad, separation pangs were dreadful, and we were eager for meeting again.

My journey from Singapore to Bhubaneswar stretched over two days - the reason being my misery. I was not too keen to spend about the same (or more) money to reach Bhubaneswar from Chennai, than what I did when I traveled from Singapore to Chennai. That too in the event when I was ill, and common sense (that's Lopa for you) told me I should catch a flight. Lopa was worried about my deteriorating health. The halt at Chennai lasted about 10 hours. It was not merely ticking of the clock - the humidity, din at the station, heat in the air, my unrelenting cough, and a blocked nasal passage meant that I had taken a bad decision. I survived somehow, and finally boarded the train late on the night of 16th. The next 20 hours were spent anticipating how I will react when I meet her; I was already in a terrible shape - disheveled hairs, shabby looks, smelly clothes, rough stubble, how was I going to present myself to her?

All that confusion vapourized when I saw her. She was a touch late, but that was not her fault, my train had arrived a bit early. She was beaming the moment she saw me, and so was I. She had brought me a long stemmed red rose - and the lovely thing paled in comparision as she was around. Incidentally she had matched her get-up with the rose. Red ear-rings, and streaks of red in her dress - it all built up the moment of excitement. I wanted to hug her tight, but alas - it was a public place. She looked sparkling, and she was so excited. I was in absolute awe - I was waiting for this moment for so long.

We dined at a nearby restaurant and spent a couple of hours there. It was a short meeting, but quite a significant one. This is when you recite a phrase like "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!". She was stunning - and I was conquered, yet again, by Lopa. Win me over and over again sweetheart, I am all yours by any stretch of imagination!

3 comments:

swapnita said...

very very romantic.
could see her looking ravashingly beautiful :-)

i hope all moments you cherish together. and in difficult times, remember to remember and re-live these ones. they would bind you together.

Dips said...

arre bitva, mummy ki baat to maane nahi-jab gala faad ke samjhaya ja raha tha ki flight le lo...
kam se kam biwi ki baat to maan lete dhakkan!!!
so the bottom line is-please dont use your brains when it comes to taking some decisions next tiem around :P

Sameer said...

hey sumitvaaa...now ur "2 hrs" have become more than vivid :))
gr8 going...and a nice piece of writing too...
~ ekdam dil ki baat zubaan pe aa gayi ~
wala stuff hai...
bhai pyar ishq mohabbat achche achche aalsiyo ko bhi shayar-kavi-lekhak bana deti hai...iska sarvottam namoona aaj hi dekha :))